[Harp-L] Gus the harmonica player

In any field of endeavor, the inept or inexperienced often don't realize what they don't know. Because a harmonica doesn't have keys or frets (or a mouthpiece that won't let you play a note without using proper embouchure), once a person can get a single note, bend some holes and understands what harp to use in order to play in second position, they are tempted to think they can play. And since it's actually hard to hit a really bad note playing major key blues in second position, they are able to delude themselves. Unfortunately, many such players are also resistant to learning some practical music theory when given the opportunity. But they are usually not shy about taking whatever opportunities that may present themselves to jam or play with other musicians in public, because it can be exhilarating. And when exhilarated, it's easy to get carried away. This is a combination of characteristics that combine to give harmonica players in general a bad reputation.

It's one thing not to know what you don't know. That is often a starting point, and we all have to start somewhere. The problem is with those who remain oblivious to what they don't know and so never develop musically on the instrument. And there is no lack of non- musicians who think they can play the harmonica.

Lest i appear to be too judgmental, I am self taught and play no other instrument. But, over the years, I've learned a lot from the musicians I've played with, and the more i learn, the more i understand what there is that I don't know. And one of the most important things to know is when to lay out.

JP