Re: [Harp-L] Re: kinder harp maximizer and midbass cut - AFB+ Knobs

Ray Beltran wrote:

> Not sure why this is such a mystery. It's all explained in the owner's manual.

there's "explained", and then there's explained.

> The left knob controls lower frequency feedback,

manual: "UB - Clockwise rotation adjusts the level of odd order harmonics and reduces feedback."

are you saying the same thing? if so, i wish the manual would have said it. is "odd order harmonics" equivalent to "low frequency feedback"? is this
obvious to everyone but me? what's "UB" mean, anyway?

> the center knob is for calibration purposes,

got that.

> and the right knob controls high frequency feedback.

manual: "AFB - Clockwise rotation adjusts the level of odd order harmonics and reduces feedback."

see comments above. i guess the problem i have is that with no coherent mental
model of what the knobs do, i'm left with "tweak them until it sounds good". combine
that with the fact that turning the knobs too far loses most of my volume, and
that it adds "crunch" that often combines in ugly ways with other parts of my rig, and
"sounds good" can be hard to attain.

there's also this helpful tip: "the AFB and UB controls on the AFB+ will respond in
a similar fashion as the controls on our HarpKing amplifier".

if i had a HarpKing i wouldn't have bought the AFB+.

--
We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give.
- Kathy Moser