From: "jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx" <jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, November 5, 2009 7:44:31 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] accompanying--playing in a band

I learned to play harp by stealing riffs and then learning from that. I'm
bad at the whole ensemble playing so here's who I'm stealing from:

Some of the best bands in the world in terms of backing the singer

Maceo Parker and the JB horns playing with James Brown. Listen to the Live
at the Apollo

Muscle Shoals behind the Staple Singers doing I'll take You There

Muscle Shoals behind Aretha doing I never Loved a Man (the Way I Love You)

or for a crazier and much weirder take on this genre

the P-Funk All Stars on the album Pumping It Up.

Everything Muddy Waters ever did.

Everybody seems to have a certain place on the beat, everybody plays, but no
one steps on anyone's toes.

The Wailers were superb at this. I Shot the Sherriff is just about perfect.

The singer doesn't always know what they want (James Brown assuredly did).
It's our job to know.

Notes are only a small part of playing.

--
Rainbow Jimmy