[Harp-L] re: talent, was deliberate practice.

It would be nice if there was a level playing field and no such thing as
talent.  You take people like Bernie Worrell, keyboardist for P-Funk who
wrote a concerto at age 8 and went to Julliard. If I practiced as hard as he
did, would I accomplish the same? No. I'll never throw a fast ball 98 miles
an hour. I'll never be the next Muhammad Ali. I'll never be the next
Einstein. I'll never be a chess master at age 14.

I've got friends that can sing any melody they hear, no practicing, no work.
It's inate. And they're nowhere close to the talent of a professional
singer.

There's a lot of competent bands out there and with work anybody can become
competent, even good. But if you listen to the Beatles, or the B52s, or
Sarah McLachan, there's a reason they're famous and we're not.

I find it liberating to know that I don't have to worry, I don't have to
push, that I can play for fun and not be driven.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html