[Harp-L] Deliberate Practice

There were previous references on Harp-L to Kenny Werner's "Effortless Mastery" as a source for learning more about playing "effortlessly." An excellent book, IMHO. However, be forewarned: it will NOT directly help you master LW's Juke riff - or will it?  ;-)

I've also read "Talent Is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin (ISBN 976-1-59184-224-8). The subtitle is: "What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else." To make a long story short, it's NOT that all world-class performers are born with overwhelming talent; it's a consciously thought out program of "deliberate practice." Several interesting examples are given in every field. All of the myths and legends surrounding great performers are examined in detail.

It's not specifically oriented to music, although there are several examples of musicians in the book. However, the major theme of the book is "deliberate practice." Too often, there is a tendency to think that we are born with (or without) a "talent" and that there is nothing we can do that will change our capability to perform. The book takes great pains to show the fallacies involved in that attitude. It also details the difference between "practice" (as most of us do it) and "deliberate practice" (which is how great performers in any field do it).

I can honestly say that my approach to learning martial arts was similar to the proposed regimen of "deliberate practice." I began Okinawan Karate training at age 41, long after most people had quit martial arts training. I got my 1st degree black belt at age 46. I'm now a 4th degree black belt (at age 61). One of my teachers (a three-time World Champion) used to laugh hilariously whenever someone would remark on my "natural" abilities and my "lifetime" of training; she was firmly convinced that I had to be the least "natural" athlete she had ever trained. She had a favorite saying: "Practice does NOT make perfect; practice makes PERMANENT. Only 'PERFECT PRACTICE' makes perfect." Her definition of 'perfect practice' very closely resembles "deliberate practice." For most of us, "practice" is done (if it is done at all) in a sloppy, haphazard way (NOT deliberately), insuring that we are permanently handicapped when trying to improve our playing. IMHO, it is NOT all about "talent."

I didn't realize it, but my approach to martial arts was one that guarantees EVENTUAL success. I didn't care beans about making rank. I enjoyed the training just to be training. I had no goal to pursue except learning to enjoy life more. I didn't want to beat anybody up, and I wasn't driven by fear that somebody somewhere sometime might want to attack me. It was enjoyable in and of itself. I didn't worry about how far behind the curve I was by starting so late in life. Most importantly, I learned to transfer that attitude and approach to every other area of my life. I also learned how to train myself in any field I choose to study, including playing harmonica. I have that same attitude toward playing music on harmonica. I have nothing to prove to anyone (including myself), I have no hidden agenda, and I enjoy the heck out of playing whenever I get the chance! I will never be a "pro" simply because I value other things in my life more highly, and I will NOT give up those things in order to spend the time and focus the energy on the goal of being a "pro" level musician. I have nothing but admiration for those "talented" players who give up so much of themselves and their lifetimes in order to reach the pinnacle of proficiency and success as musicians, who always "give it up" instead of "mailing it in."

In any event, if you are looking for some hints on how to transform your approach to practice so that you get maximum benefit from the time you spend doing it, take a look at this book. It may revolutionize the way you approach doing everything, including practicing and playing harmonica. Then again, it probably won't, if you can't learn by teaching yourself, and you believe skill is just the luck of the genetic draw...

Standard disclaimers apply: no financial connection, blah, blah, blah...

Regards,

Crazy Bob

Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9690331&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009