[Harp-L] interesting stuff out there (backing a Singer)

Interesting thread indeed. I enjoyed Dan's take (and videos) immensely. As Pete wrote and Roger sang, "Its the singer not the song, that makes the music move along. I want you to join together with THE BAND"
Obviously, there are many interpretations of this bold statement. Mine is this: When a singer is putting him/her self out there, it is the job of the instrumentation to enhance that effort. The singer is focal point, the story teller, the frontperson and the lead "instrument" when vocalizing. Don't step where you don't belong!
Being both the singer and harpist in the bands I play in, its pretty much impossible for me to not follow these simple rules. Having played with many guitar players who dont see things the same way has taught me to keep these rules when I play as sideman.

Less is more as they say. If a singer wants fills and backing chords, they will let me know. I find it is always better to be informed I am not playing enough as opposed to getting stinkeye from a singer or other soloist I may have just stepped on. Even then, playing fills or chords with restraint, at low volume and leaving plenty of space for the song to breathe is my standard M.O.
I have played with many a guitar player who thinks they are "adding intensity" to the song or singer by playing over a vocal or someone elses solo. Rubbish. Its either ignorance or just plain rude. The former is excusable as long as after the communication of the error is explained, it is not repeated. If it is, that player is usually not invited back or I have used the following tactic with success at jams and rehearsals only: When they do start to noodle over my vox or solos, I simply stop. This will always solicit a request for an explanation from the insigator which is provided.

Unless you are James Cotton, playing harp over a vocal or stepping on another soloist is not acceptable unless that singer or soloist is requesting otherwise. Same for the guitar, unless you are covering certain Allman Bros or Lynyrd Skynyrd songs. Even then, there has to be a leader in the mix otherwise it's just mush. Of course, there are time when playing over each other is actually kinda cool (i.e. One Way Out) however I find those few and far between. They should always be discussed beforehand.
Communication is key and knowing your place in the dynamic of THE BAND is paramount to the overall sound and perception of it. As Dan states, keep the Big Picture in focus at all times. Focusing the the output of the entire band as opposed to just my playing has always provided good results (and return invitations) for me.

Peace

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/