Re: [Harp-L] interesting stuff out there (backing a Singer)

Dear list,

I rarely post, but this thread speaks to a subject that I think about often.  My post will shift the topic slightly, but I feel I'm taking the conversation in a logical direction.

As I read it, the topic here is playing harmonica back-up, or behind a singer.  One of my next videos is going to focus on singing and playing the harmonica.  I think learning to sing, or at least trying to sing teaches us to appreciate the side-man, behind-singer role.  If you've ever been played over while singing, you'll never want to do that to someone else.

The discussion has also hit on a question of "who's the main focus of the performance?"  This is where I want to come around to the idea that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I'm not a huge fan of playing the sideman role, mostly because of a history of being used as a novelty for someone else.  However, given the right group of ensemble-type players, it feels great to contribute even small pieces to a good group performance.

I've noticed a lot of players getting so wrapped up in the instrument, techniques, or licks or solos, that they lose sight of the big picture.  It's one thing for a room full of harp players to sit enthralled all night long listening to harmonica solos.  It's another thing for a band to appeal to a broad audience.

It's totally acceptable to "do your thing" and stick to your art/style/performance with no regard for anything but your own musical vision/integrity. I'm not against this philosophy. This works, and people change the world this way. I think it's rare, though.

Or, you can consider the big picture and try to craft something specific to the audience.  As a hired gun, this means fitting into the role you've been hired to play.  I hate it when I hire a certain bass player, who runs his own band.  He tends to try to take over my shows.  But I digress.. .

As a band member or leader, I believe that it's important to focus on a variety of elements of the show, with a consistent goal of entertaining the audience.  There are many people out there who just don't give a darn about instrumental solos.  There are many who only care about the beat.  Some just like the words.  Others really care what you look like.

To the many harp players on this list who are side-men, try to ccnsider all of these points of view.  It will open up your playing, I promise you.

For example, it's ok to just stand there not playing sometimes.  It's also really cool to imagine yourself as a horn sometimes, adding little hits of rhythm.  It never hurts the "show" to move, smile, look sharp, stand tall, lean in. . .step forward, shout "WOOOOOO"(like Magic Dick) into the microphone.  I could go on, but this is already an essay.

Bottom line, if you think about the end-goal and/or the big picture, you'll do better, and have more fun as a side-man harp player.

Thanks,

Dan Gage
"12gagedan"  on youtube