Re: [Harp-L] interesting stuff out there

Amen on "making the singer the star" that's not old fashion, that's still the object of a band with a vocalist.(In my opinion) The vocals tell the story,the instruments support it. There's nothing worse than "fighting" the band all night long. It harms the vocalists instrument, and limits their performance.

                             Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:29:58
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] interesting stuff out there

Usually I don't listen to contemporary harmonica players when I go through
 You Tube, it's more entertaining to watch Jimi set his guitar on fire, or
 actually see Howling Wolf (if Mike Tyson could sing, that's what he'd sound
 like).

 Here's some stuff I saw and liked:

 I really like Mr  Dijgraaf's stuff. I'm a sucker for brazillian music any
 way and the guy plays it well.

 I also enjoyed Sourau Choudray's piece (excuse me if I misspelled your
 name). I never heard Indian music on a harmonica before.

 And at the risk of sounding ridiculously petty, although Jason Ricci is the
 best harmonica player I ever heard and he plays stuff that would be
 impossible for any three other harp players to play, I can't handle Grateful
 Dead length harmonica solos.

 There's a great video of Little Walter playing with KokoTaylor. A of a bunch
 of cool guys in sharp suits backing up  a sultry singer with good pipes. I
 liked how the band functioned as a unit and I liked how they left a huge
 amount of space for the singer. I know it's old fashion but I like having
 the singer be the star, and have the band really working hard at making the
 singer sound good and look good.
 --
 Rainbow Jimmy
 http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html <http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html>