Re: [Harp-L] Embouchure terminology

Frank Evers comments on "Lip Blocking:"
Am Sonntag, 1. November 2009 schrieb John F. Potts:
The one that comes to mind is the Diatonic Harmonica Reference
site. I saw the "Lip Block" term used somewhere else on the web,
too, but I don't remember where else.

Maybe i used it here. Ralf "BBHarpy" Fuckard uses it, too. IIRC he is one of the inventors of this term (assuming that it was invented independently by more than one player over the years).
I have always used the term, "Lip Blocking" the way Jerry Portnoy uses it in his Masterclass CD Series. Jerry uses "Lip Blocking" to distinguish the technique from a simple pucker embouchure. He describes the term as playing a chord using an open embouchure covering several holes and then abruptly "constricting" the open lips to a pucker embouchure covering only one hole -- in order to simulate a tongue-blocked slap. In his book, "Sourcebook of Little Walter/Big Walter Licks for Blues Harmonica," our own Tom Ball mentions this "Lip Blocking" technique with the more descriptive term, "Fake Tongue-Blocking." That pretty much says it all for me. :-)

Michelle