Re: [Harp-L] Reed plate protrusion

Michael, I know your post was directed at Steve and all your questions are
valid, but since I was the one who brought it up let me just jump in here.
When I first got my new MBDs I was pretty much appalled that the reed plates
protruded as much as they did. But it was an easy fix once I knew that it
could be adjusted by loosening the screws and sliding the comb up. If there
weren't the tolerance in the screw holes it would have been a big problem
rather than a simple one. Should the reed plates have been level with the
comb to form an even mouthpiece to begin with? In my opinion yes. But I had
anticipated having to really work on these plates with a file or maybe
a floor sander to get them down to where they weren't like figure skate
blades. So in lieu of retooling, I would suggest that Hohner keeps the play
in the holes just in case Gretchen is having a bad day when she assembles my
harps.

Seriously though, now that that problem is fixed I'm happy with the MBD
harps. For me, for now, it's pretty much as close to a custom harp I'm gonna
get. I've learned enough to adjust the reeds and slots to suit my playing
style and now I can adjust the mouthpiece too. I'm glad to be playing Marine
Bands again and looking forward to checking out the bamboo comb model. I
hope the protrusion problem is corrected by then.

tom albanese

http://www.myspace.com/bigrealdeal

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Michael Peloquin <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx