Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Mic

Here's a bit of history on that whole JT30, BB, CAD harp mic.....and at the
bottom is some info on my new mass produced harp mic that should be ready
for sell soon.

When Astatic sold its Harp Mic division to CAD Mics in the early 90's, the
JT30, The Blues Blaster and the CAD Black Beauty (which was going to be
the name)  were all built on the same bench.  ''The only difference is the
color'' is a very true statement unless, of course, you buy a modern day
crap BB with a long long overdue and "Now"  virtually useless 5 Meg pot with
that cheap crystal.

A good friend of mine was endorsed by CAD when CAD bought the harp
mic rights and he had his pick of the best MC151 crystals.  Unfortunantely,
according to Darrell, at this time the quality control with the mass of
crystals he'd receive in the mail was crap.  He'd get 5 at a time and keep
the 2 hottest ones and send the other 3 back.  And he did this on a regular
basis to sell those mics when he was on his non-stop touring schedule.
That part is a bummer because it was prophesized by Darrell with his inside
knowledge that the  great sound of the ''readily available''  crystal
elements as we knew it may soon be gone forever.  He was right!   However,
all wasn't lost when he had a dead crystal in sound check in Alaska in the
late 90's without a backup and so he went scrambling around the stage
looking for a stick mic to use and he ran across a pistol grip 545 on a
shelf and he and his guitar player were blown away at the huge sound it
created and pretty much never went back to crystal elements for his
performing mics.  A hot 5F1 with a 545 is one fat and nasty combination.

To go even a little deeper, he told me that he tried to get CAD to start
using the 5Meg pot for optimum performance and played it for them right in
front of them, but they wouldn't do it because CAD was only in the business
of making money and went with what Rod Piazza told Astatic when Hohner
''wouldn't'' put his name on The Blues Blaster (Rod told me this story one
night at The BLue Cafe in Long Beach).   Rod told me that Hohner wouldn't
put his name on The BLues Blaster and then quote, "I told them how to wired
it up all assbackwards." According to Rod that's how the MC151 BB ended up
using the 500K pot and not the 5 Meg that Harman, Rod, Darrell, Slim and
these So. CA harp greats in the know used.  So Hohner wanted to know what
he used for the mod, but gave him nothing in return.   In other words, "Go
jump in a lake."  Rod made great profit by doing it himself.

What I've known for many years by scouring Shure's spec sheets from the
earliest crystal mics they produced, they talked about having at least 2Meg
going to the first pre amp tube to attain maximum low end and output and
5Meg for best results along with the .1 uF stutter cap in that stage.
That's ''at least''  70 year old technology and where the famous crystal
element mic mod  "The Hot Rod Mod"  comes into play, which is great
marketing by a very smart Rod Piazza.  (I'm leaning toward John Kinder as
knowing this spec first....it's  a hunch)  It's a very easy modification to
take a 79 dollar crystal mic and toss in a 5Meg pot with cap and nice paint
and sell them for 250 bucks.  150 bucks profit for an hour of work is great
money.....I've done a ton of them over the years, but I was more
conservative on my price.  Rod is a huge draw and many thought they'd sound
like him if they purchased one of his mics, so he could set his
price.....he's no dummy.

One of Kevin's  old Crystal Balls is no different internally than any
5Megged crystal mic except that cool looking  chrome finish.   The whole
package is "A special mic".

Stay tuned!  My new mics are almost ready.   My order of 1000 shells are
almost done.  This first design will look similar to the usual bullet, but
it's a bit longer and sleeker than a JT30.
It is designed to fit Crystal and Ceramic, Controlled Mags and CR's or
Dynamic elements.  The new mass produced element I'm using will have a
special rubber gasket manufactured for its tubular style.  In other words
the Shell's design versatility was a top shelf priority along with
the complete mic's tone, which is of Paramount importance.  The shells are
made right here in the USA.

The mass produced mic for music stores will have a -51db output (about like
an average Controlled Magnetic's output, but with a pinch less gritty
gnarl that  a CM makes),  with good low end.  The element is fairly bright
to cut through...in other words it has great dynamic range and will flat out
cream Shure's nasally sounding Green Bullet in tone for just a few more
bucks.   I hope to outsell them all !!!!!!

stay tuned, it's almost show time.