[Harp-L] harmonicas playing out of the box

   I recall a conversation I had a long time ago with Joe Filisko, when
Hohners were still largely hand-tuned.  Joe felt that guys bitching about
the quality and cost of the Hohners had it all wrong.  He felt that, for the
price, you were getting quite a bit of hand craftsmanship and detail for
your five or ten bucks.  Especially compared to other instruments.  Joe
said, and I was amazed by this, that it was up to the player to "finish" the
instrument.  To his or her own specifications.  That everyone should have a
knowledge of gapping reeds and maybe some techniques to cut air leakage.
   Now, that's a lot to expect out of a beginner or someone with a physical
disability.  But, as Richard pointed out, everybody's attack and embouchure
is different.  Reeds that play well for one guy might stick and lock up for
another player.  Personally, that's why I'd never send away for a custom
instrument.  I'd want to actually be there when the reeds were being
gapped.  Since they usually have to be gapped and then readjusted a few days
later, I guess I'd have to be there twice.

Mick Zaklan