[Harp-L] Fender Blues Jr tube swap ?

Ron,

FWIW, when I had a Blues Jr., i got the tube substitution kit by Eurotubes. (harp depot carries it, but i ordered direct;y from Eurotubes.) ECC81 (12AT7) in V1, ECC83S (12AX7) in V2, and ECC232 (12D/W7) in V3. i thought it sounded pretty good, but I don't use a bullet mic. Putting a lower gain tube in V2 can alter the tone of the amp considerably and not necessarily in a positive way. Before i did the tube swap the amp was unusable because of feedback. The BJ is a relatively high gain amp.

I sold my BJ and got a Princeton Reverb RI when they came out. But the BJ is a very versatile little amp. I liked it, but I like my PRRI better.

The AD/W7 gives you an unbalanced phase inverter tube which is supposed to fatten the tone for harp. There are quite a few posts in the archives discussing/debating this. It depends on the amp, but i thought it sounded pretty good in the BJ.

Btw, Ruby Tubes makes a replacement reverb tank that fits in the BJ. This came out after i old mine, but a friend of mine has one. Sounds vastly better than the stock reverb tank. I had the reverb circuit modified on my BJ because the reverb sounded so tinny. The RT tank is a cheaper and better solution.

Hope this helps.

JP