Re: [Harp-L] Charlie McCoy - 12,000 sessions?

On May 22, 2009, at 1:17pm, Winslow Yerxa wrote:
When recording work was really cooking in the 1960s and '70s, he might have been doing 4 or 5 or even 7 or 8 a day - potentially in the same studio, with the same producer, but with different artists.

Not all of these might have been released to the public. Also, if you count each song as a "session" you could plump the numbers up a bit.

Winslow

I don't doubt the 12K figure, for the reasons Winslow states. Johnny Gimble (fiddle) is probably close to McCoy. You see these guys credited on nearly every piece of country vinyl from that period, it seems, and probably a high percentage of their sessions never saw the light of day (don't blame that on the harp or fiddle player).

Never been to Nashville, but I've read a lot of record jackets.