Re: [Harp-L] chromatic tuner and metronome

If you want to re-tune harmonica reeds, a chromatic tuner is a necessary tool.

When selecting one, pay attention to the "detection" or "tuning" range.

When you start retuning the high end reeds, like on a key of D harp,
you need the higher detection range.  I have this problem with my Boss TU-12H tuner. The high end reeds, like the 9 draw on a D harp will not register.

I did a quick lookup of some tuners...

Boss TU-12H range is C0 to B6.
Korg TM-40 range is C1 to C5.
Korg CA-30 range is C1 to C8.
Korg CA-40 range is A0 to C8 (range for a standard 88 key piano).
ST-122 Turbo Tuner range is C0 to C8 (and you can tune in ANY temperament)
Peterson V-SAM tuner range is C0 to B8 (has a wide range of temperaments listed (any?)

Also check reference tones, and Calibration (I believe 440-443 are most most common for harmonica, but a wider range is better)
Tuning to different temperaments other than equal, will require being able to read +/- cents, or having built in temperaments, like the ST-122 and Peterson strobe tuners.

I haven't decided on what tuner to get to replace my Boss TU-12H, but I kind of like the ST-122 Turbo Tuner (costs $130), but the Korg CA-40 is cheap and has a great frequency range.

Not sure about the metronome thing, but there's a wide variety of those available too at reasonable prices... you might want a separate device from the tuner.

Ken H in OH