[Harp-L] the cupping thing again

Well the discussion died down again, but one reply (don't remember who it was from) stuck with me - someone said they tried taping off the entire back of the harp, AND the front, and could no longer get any sound - and (if I interpreted it correctly) concluded that this "sealing the front of the harp" stuff must not be legitimate. Well, it is true - as you develop your technique, you can get such a tight seal that no air will flow. Then you get no sound - and shortly before that the reeds will often go off pitch. But the ability to completely block the air flow like that IS the goal. Once you can do that, you know you have mastered this technique. If you can't, you're not there yet. But getting very close to the complete containment of airflow through the harp is my definition of fully cupped. I did a YouTube on this a while back, but I just re-did it for no good reason and I think the new video demonstrates this better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9SBiZw2ds

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net