Re: [Harp-L] 1) Best starting key? 2) Which keys to buy first? 3)Learning order?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Opus314
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 10:00 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] 1) Best starting key? 2) Which keys to buy first? 3)Learning order?

  1) What is the best harp key for a beginner to start with? Most easy
  to play?
  A ) I learning my self and it depends on the book ( DVD, website), that your learning from...most of them use the Key of "C". I belive they use the Key of "C" because its in the middle range.
  2) Once you are ready to buy a 2nd, 3rd, etc harp... what keys would
  you suggest... say if you were only going to buy 5 to 7 harps to begin
  with?
  B ) I would love to know this my self.  I good buddy of mine ( Richard Perkins) gave me this cd, of back tracking and a list of Keys with each song.
  I also practice with a friend of mine who plays the guiter so I have to have the keys of the songs he knows how to play.
  so for the cd, The keys are: "C","A", "E", "Bb (Bflat)", "G",
  for the guitar friend :            "A", "G", "D", "B",
  Now you get into what brand of harp, since your starting out I would go for Suzuki "Bluesmaster" they tend to go for $20 +.  and no I don't have one....
  3) Once you have your first 5 to 7 harps... what order would be the
  most easy to learn them?
  C ) This all depends on the songs you like to play, I tend to like the low end sounds (F,G,Ab,A,Bb,B,C ) once again I think the C is the middle of the sound going hi (Db,D,Eb,E,F,F#,G#) SORRY you asked easy,,,, I think the ones you enjoy playing, the sound you like hearing.... the more you enjoy the more you practice the more you learn the easer it feels.
  I have only been playing for a couple of month's I don't know Jack about music theory.
  Im only giving you my very limited knowledge.... and trust be don't bet your house on what I have to say.

  Good luck and enjoy the trip
  abner (Blueyes, still having fun)

  Thanks,