[Harp-L] Musicians Ear plugs, Barry Cohen

>From: "Barry F. Cohen" <kates-cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Harp-L] Musicians Ear Plugs?
>Does anyone have a particular brand of custom ear plugs
>they've had success with (plugs, not monitors)?
>I'm trying to protect my already poor hearing
>but can't seem to find a brand that doesn't make me
>feel like I'm underwater or really alters the harp sound
>(maybe even the key?) in my own head.
>Thanks list!
>Barry

I use "Clippers". They are far superior to self expanding flexible foam
inserts used for temporary protection at sports venues or shooting.

The procedure is that twin-pack foam is injected (painlessly) into the ear
canals. Within 3 minutes it becomes firm. The casts are removed and used as
a model for a second mould pair. The solid resin ear plug for each side is
cast from the mould, and can be coloured differently so you don't insert to
the wrong ear. I use port and starboard, red and green.
The solid resin has a tuned, extremely fine canal which picks the vocal
frequencies well, but attenuates whines and heavy bass thumps.
The harp sound transferred through the skull's bones and sinuses does become
proportionately louder (like when you insert a finger in your ear
temporarily to check your playing at a really noisy venue), but the key
remains constant.

It's a personal service, and they even sent me a second pair when THEIR
quality control wasn't satisfied with the initial castings. -I thought they
were fine.

(They're also less obtrusive than PELTOR's yellow "headphones")

Best Regards Geoff Atkins