Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 69, Issue 55

On May 21, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Michelle LeFree wrote:

Smoky Joe sez:
Speaking of which, the very best version of 'Over the Rainbow'?...ever?.......... Harry Nilsson (movie 'You've Got Mail')
smo-joe :0~

Hmm. I was letting the "Rainbow" discussion fade into harp-l archive history as it was dimininshing in its harmonica content. I am speaking up now because I have to disagree wichya here, SmoJo old buddy, even though Harry Nilsson is one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters.

Back when the thread was still alive, I was a bit surprised that no one mentioned Isreal Kamakawiwo'Ole's exquisite version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." For those unaware of "Iz," he was a 600 lb native Hawaiian who achieved local superstar status on the islands for his evocative songs and moving performances backing himself with a ukulele, which looked absolutely ~tiny~ in his hands.
I prefer even more his medley of Rainbow and "It's a Beautiful World," made famous by Louis Armstrong. I find that song absolutely spellbinding. I never tire of listening to it. BTW, it graced the sound track of the fine movie, "Finding Forrester," which I also recommend
There are a number of Youtube versions of Iz's Rainbow. I couldn't find one of the medley. You have to be careful as I did find versions claiming to feature Iz in which people laid their own sound tracks over videos of Iz.

There's little question in my mind as to which artist "owns" Rainbow.

Michelle

My error. I should have said "In my opinion" (mebad). Can't dispute you as the only Hawaiians I ever knew were the famous Ho family. You remember:

The singer...Don
his wife .......Heidi
Parents....... Land and Ec
Sisters........ Yo & Oh
Brothers..... Westward & Talley
Daughters.. Ho & Hi
Sons.......... Sail & Gung Anyway, I'm getting way off topic, but no moreso than some of the other thigs spoken of.

Love ya Michelle ...My belle...we are things that go together well...my Michelle..............

p.s. don't know if you caught it..it was a play on words (names) Nielson/Nilsson?

Joey