Re: [Harp-L] Can you tongue block overblow

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:49 AM, JohnnieHarp <johnnieharp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It may be that while some can overblow while tongue blocking, these may be
> the exceptions due to oral and facial anatomy, raw ability and practice.
> Similar to pro athletes that can do amazing things with a ball, bat, golf
> club, etc.

This made me laugh. I am "officially the worst harmonica player on the
list"(TM), and I overblow with a tongue-block. This is because I do
everything with a tongue-block (well, not *everything*!). It is not an
effect, it is just my embouchure of choice. In fact, I can't reliably
OB with a pucker, and would need to practice for a while to be able to
do that.

The reed choke comes from some place in the back of my throat. I'd
need an fMRI to tell you  where exactly.

> If they
> can overblow while tongue blocking, do they block to the left, right or
> center/Ublock?

I block with tongue to the right and play hole to the left. However,
my OB is completely independent of tongue position.

So, it's very possible (as in, if I can do it, anyone can). Just grab
a well-gapped harp and keep on trying, for hours and hours and hours
... :-)

Hope this helps.
Ric