Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki's Fabulus....Rant...

Jeff,

That "lightest breath" phrase in there may be key. They may be designed for folks that play by breathing rather than those who blow too hard. I think maybe something like a Lee Oskar is better for players who play hard.

I'll bet if you can work on your technique you will have far better results. No disrespect there - but it's been said over and over on this forum and in most of the educational material that i have that blowing hard is not good and for better speed/dexterity a lighter touch is better (I don't even know if you do play hard, just conjecture at this point). Then again plenty of great players blow hard, but it's just probably that they have harps set up well for that.

But again most of the custom harps and harps like this one, with very small and exact tolerances, are not going to be good for forceful players, so I expect you'd have the same results from a custom. I believe these small gaps/tolerances are somewhat necessary for ease of overblowing as well.

Bill

Jeff roulier wrote:
At 08:32 PM 5/19/2009, you wrote:

> You would think with all bluster about how great it is, and the
> "exact tolerances" they claim to use that the most important hole
> wouldn't have a reed that sticks. Of course my 2 draw sticks when I
> need hit fast - not hard just quick and when I blow hole 2 then draw
> on it right away like when I play Juke, Walter's Boogie, and try to
> play Whammer Jammer. Now I have to send it god only knows where, and
> wait AGAIN to get it back. I bought it hoping it would live up to
> its hype and I could buy them instead of waiting months for a custom
> harp. But Suzuki let me down big time. I really should have known
> they would... I used to buy their promasters, and something like 40
> percent of hem were unusable out of the box, but I bought the hype
> spent over $200.00 thinking at that price they actually built one
> that was playable out of the box. The worst part is I'm disabled
> and don't have the hand dexterity to fix my own harps. I'm so %%^@*&g pissed.

> Jeff

It's just that any off-the-shelf harp is never going to be spot-on for everyone. I have never yet bought a stock harp that suited my playing perfectly and didn't need at least a spot of regapping here and there for the way I play. It sounds like you need more open gaps down there. It happens to me with every harp I buy. I'm sorry you can't do your own adjusting. You could consider getting slightly cheaper harps and paying for someone to set them up for you I suppose.

You're mostly correct. It's like hitting the lottery when a stock harp plays well right out of the box, but I have gotten a few. My point was Suzuki made claims about what a precise instrument the Fabulus is. and the first one I buy at over $200.00 (at that price it shouldn't have reed sticking problems) is a damned lemon. If I was talking about a marine band, or even a marine band deluxe, I wouldn't be so upset, but for that kind of money that harp should have been perfect.

From Suzuki's Website:

"The precision tolerances achieved in the Fabulous harmonicas are unmatched by any other production harmonica — and you can hear it in the way the reeds respond soulfully to even the lightest breath.

Superb airtightness and instant response of the reeds to every breath creates a feeling of euphoria for every player when they first try Suzuki's all new Fabulous Chromatic Harmonica. The rich timbre of the Fabulous is a result of 21st century design matched with respect for the best aspects of tradition, embodied in top quality components with Suzuki's high accuracy processes."

Now I ask is too damned hard to make the harp w/o reeds that stick?

P.S. I've tried the cheapest to the most expensive harps. Some worked out of the box others didn't. I have no idea who I could pay to set up my harps. I know no other harp players except on the web.

Jeff http://www.myspace.com/jeffroulier http://www.youtube.com/Jeff1915

...anyone who fights for the future lives in it today - Ayn Rand