[Harp-L] Re: Mic Holding

One point which appears to have been overlooked up to now in this discussion is that the choice of embouchure is absolutely decisive in getting a full enclosure against your cheek. This can only really work when playing with a tongue block, because if you hold and block left, the harp is automatically angled to the right and can therefore be laid against your right cheek with ease without breaking the seal with the lips. If you pucker you can't do it, because the central lip opening means the harp is then no longer angled left or right, thus creating an air gap on both sides instead of only on one side. You can't seal both sides at once and it's much harder to lay the upper holes against your cheek, so it's physically almost impossible to create the full enclosure necessary for powerful hand effects playing that way. I would like to join Larry in thanking Joe Filisko for bringing this aspect of traditional harmonica styles to my attention,

Steve
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com
www.youtube.com/stevebakerbluesharp