[Harp-L] MIC HOLDING -Bill, Larry, Abner.

Green bullet in smaller hands is a struggle, and I also have problems with
the lack of hand movements that it causes.

There are at least two solutions that work:

First:
A local Zulu craftsman and friend, Bheki Ntshangase made me a steel holder.
It looks like a matt black ice cream cone.
The lower half has the dimensions of an SM58, the upper half has similar
dimensions to a  GB, Shure 520, but it's cut off to be open at the top, and
lined with suede leather from a Nguni cow. The holder fits into the normal
mic stand's clip.
When I play heavily distorted sound I cup tight onto the mike, which is
either in its holder or hand held. When I want cleaner sound, I put the GB
into its holder (Volume control and cable upwards) and step back, hands are
free for all the normal effects.

Second:
You will need: A)Old dynamic headset, B)Mic preamp chip, (with pot, jacks,
cable and batteries), C) Nguni leather, D)Velcro, E)scissors, F) contact
glue,   G) a bunch of flowers, H) sewing machine, and I) a patient wife.
(They can mostly be found in the local radio spares and other local shops,
except the item I), but you could get lucky.

Jury rig the headset A) and the mic preamp unit B) to check they give
sufficient signal. You may need to try a few different headsets. Ear bud
types aren't usually good, about a 15mm or 5/8th inch diameter work well.
Give leather C) to wife I). Persuade her to make a leather "glove" to fit
the area of your palm only, with wrap-around straps fixed with D) Velcro
around the first two fingers and the wrist. If you experience friction at
this point, the application of part G) is recommended.

Wearing the "glove", pick up a harp, and mark where the bass and treble
areas lie. Take the Headset A) earpieces, and cut holes in the palm of the
glove slightly smaller than the earpieces. Wire them up behind the palm
piece, and add a small patch behind the palm piece using F) contact glue.
Wire up the system, I put the preamp pack on my belt, with a jack to the
Pedal/ PA lead.
It works like a charm. Hand effects are all available, the dynamics are
however considerably different to playing onto a free-air mic.

As for dropping a mic, Harpdog Brown puts his lead (no pun really intended)
around his shoulder, neat.

Best Regards, Geoff Atkins