  From: Bill Kumpe
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 11:17 AM
  Subject: [Harp-L] RE: MIC HOLDING

  RE: Mic Holding

  I have the same problem.  It is always a trade off. On the one hand, I can
  get a much fatter tone by cupping the mic close, etc.  But, on the other
  hand, I am clumsy holding the mic and worry about dropping the thing. When I
  play at our monthly jam, I use the PA mic which is on a stand and cup around
  it.  I don't get nearly as good a tone as I would with my JT-30 but I also
  don't have to worry about dropping the mic, etc. either.  I suspect that as
  I get more poise handling things, I will be able to use whatever mic I want.
  But, I hear guys sounding awful good just walking up to that cheap PA mic
  and cupping it in their hands on the stand.  Granted, they could probably
  sound good playing through a tin can and string but they prove it's not an
  insurmountable handicap to be playing this way.

  Bill Kumpe
  Tulsa, OK