Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Custom Harps ...Satisfied Customer

You make utmost sense to me, Brad. I get it. And in reverse, the Cx-12's
are (imho) the closest thing a diatonic player can get to making the
transition  to chromatics. While I used to enjoy playing the 270's well enough, I
can't get  over just how much I LOVE these updates on the theme.  Hohner
knocked one  out of the Ballpark with this instrument, imho. I've been told by
other  chromatic players that the wideness of the mouthpiece makes it an
instrument almost exclusively for tongue-blockers, yet it works just  fine for
me and I can't tongue-block at all...EVER...given my severe TMJ  problems.
But then, some top players lip block so I'm in good company and won't
apologize for playing the way I do. We all adapt, do what works for us (or  should,
anyway).

I also refuse to outlay the funds just to buy one mouthpiece of  the new
'jazz' Cx-12. I love this chromatic as it is in all of its keys (except  for
wishing it came in a 16)  so I wouldn't change anything about its  style.
It's probably the rounded shape which works so well for me,  anyway...makes it
easy to clean, doesn't build up grunge or dirt..a one piece  slide -  what's
not to like? And who knows if I'd enjoy it as  much with the new mouthpiece?

 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

To tie in with your take on Chris' playing....he and George (Brooks) were
the only two guys to play diatonics in the first SPAH jazz jam I attended.
He  shattered a lot of preconceptions, that's for sure.  From then on I paid
attention ....listening in to his playing whenever I could. When I made the
 decision to get these harps ...I wanted a whole set but couldn't sell that
at  home ;)

I knew his custom harps would somehow reflect that same 'feeling' I look
for in a chromatic although I still dream someday of being able to play
something for Jason (on any harmonica) without humiliating myself  <G>.  Maybe
having harps one can trust is part of the battle for some  of us?

Elizabeth
"Message: 8