From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 10:44 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] FUN Music

While it seems that music has taken an unusual turn in today's brave new
world (after all, contemporary music reflects the world in the present
moment) -  including documented changes to how CD's are mixed, live music
seems to be too  loud and using dynamics effectively is not as commonplace
as it once appeared to  have been, there are a few new discoveries out there
- mostly on the independent  music scene or up and coming talents. I enjoy
being turned on to something new  and this list has offered a few gems over
the years.

I also enjoy discovering old recordings that move me - the most amazing in
recent months is rediscovering Lindisfarne - and it has got me on a new path
of  enjoying musicians that factor in FUN rather than the "dig me - I'm a
virtuoso"  stuff.

Lindisfarne has a few live recordings available - it is so apparent that
this band laid out the good times similar to how Jimmy Buffet live creates a
fun  evening. In addition, it does not sound dated, even though the
recordings were  made in the 70's, 80's, etc. The audience is almost as much
a part of these live  Lindisfarne recordings as the musician.

Guess I'm tired of the same ol' and find relief in the pure FUN - kinda like
listening to Paul deLay when he was in a fun creative original song  mood.

Lindisfarne also has a lot of harmonica throughout - blues style/w
distortion as well as the pure folk acoustic.

Definitely worth a listen if you seek out fun and new experiences.

Along these lines, the very early Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks and Martin
Mull recordings are a breath of fresh air, too.

Anyone else have suggestions on fun music?
**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in the
U.S.
(http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/domestic/national-tourism-week?ncid=emlc
ntustrav00000002)