[Harp-L] Note layout on chord harps??

Hi all, couple questions for the chord harmonica players, if you please.

The ones that have the bass note next to them... First of all, I can't tell if the chords on those ones are 4 reed (or 8, if octave added) or 3 reed. I think I read somewhere that they are 3 reed chords, but the pictures seems to have 4 holes (in addition to the bass note hole).

Is that bass note supposed to be played along with the other notes in the chord? Know what I mean?  Or is it mainly to be played seperately? If it is mainly to be played seperately, do any players find those bass notes useful? I am asking this question, because I am not sure what use they might have, especially if you are using them in a harmonica trio (which prolly already has a bass harp), or a band prolly already has a bass player.

I guess the bottom line is that I am prolly going to get a really inexpensive one to check it out. Don't worry, I know there is a risk with that strategy! But, the two inexpensive ones are the Chordet 48 and Swan 48. The chordet has the seperate bass notes, but I don't think the swan does. So, not sure which one to check out. Any help?