Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:24:40 -0400
From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Arrogant sound man (true story)
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Back in the 80's I was playing a festival gig with a hard rocking
blues band on a very large outdoor stage. There was a very LARGE PA
with a sound man at the FOH board that wasmaybe 30 yards from the
front of the stage under a sort of tent. All the electric instruments
were DI'd. Stage sound was through a separate stage mix for monitors
and  was handled by a sound man at a very large board off to stage
right, at stage level.  As i usually do when playing on a big stage,
i went direct into the board and asked for stage sound through the
monitor.  I thought i could hear it okay when the levels were first set.

The guy mixing the stage sound was just too cool. Hair down to his
shoulders, shades, hip threads, laid back, etc, etc, and with a very
superior attitude.   Once the band started, i couldn't hear my
monitor, so i looked over at the guy and pointed at the monitor
speaker. No reaction.  I pointed at the monitor again and then up at
my ear.  No reaction. He's standing in front of this very large
mixing board which was for the sole purpose of adjusting stage sound,
posing, looking like a hipper than thou sound man from central
casting and paying absolutely no attention to me or anything else
that was happening on stage.  It got to the point that I was almost
tempted to throw a harmonica at him to get his attention. (i didn't.)
We were 2 songs into the set before i got proper stage sound. 20+
years later, I still feel like killing that guy.  But he did sort of
look like a rock star.

JP

--
Comuna de Santos

www.myspace.com/comunadesantos

Este email no puede ser considerado SPAM mientras incluya una forma de
remocion, para ser removido permanentemente de nuestra base de datos, envie
un email con la palabra REMOVER a esta direccion.-