[Harp-L] Orchestra as a loud "band"?

> Date: Fri,  8 May 2009 11:03:11 -0400
> From: bon@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Harp-L] Tonight is totally acoustic with Orchestra
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> For all you gear heads, tonight is another totally acoustic Harmonica
> Concerto with a 60 piece Orchestra in an 1800 seat hall.
>
>   This performance with the Murcia Symphony in Spain will be about my
> 70th time to perform the Villa-Lobos Harmonica Concerto with no
> amplification!!
>
> And everyone worries about loud bands - a whole orchestra is a loud band.
>
> Harmonically yours,
>
> Robert Bonfiglio
> http://www.robertbonfiglio.com

With the utmost respect to Maestro Bonfiglio (whose music I really love),I would suggest that the difference between an orchestra and a 60-pieceband in loudness (and the possibility for a totally acoustic harmonica to be heard as the lead instrument) has EVERYTHING to do with the conductorscaling back the loudness (i.e., using dynamics) of those other 60 instrumentsduring those times that the harmonica  is "taking a break" (so to speak).I can NOT imagine a collection of 60 typical band ego-freaks doing anythingother than dialing their amps up to the highest setting available in an attemptto hear THEMSELVES playing above everyone else--and then screaming atthe sound man to turn THEM up in the mix.
My imagination is NOT sufficient to want to try that as an exercise in listening!Crazy Bob

Hotmail® goes with you.