[Harp-L] Recommended Harps for Tom Halchak

Tom Halchak asked about whose harps to buy:
IMHO it depends on what the availability, price, and suitability to your
playing style, but they should all be the same manufacturer and model.

I have a case full of Hohners, all Blues Harp models.
About a year ago I saw some Suzuki Pro Masters and bought three:
C,D and G. They fitted the case -neatly visible with their Anodised
Aluminium combs and clear key markings. Practice at home unplugged was fine.
The trouble came at the gigs, when the response and tone of the harps needed
more top cut and less volume from the amp. As the band plays in many keys, I
was swapping back and forth and concentrating on amp controls, not playing.

I decided to go the whole hog and buy the Suzuki set. Back at the SA
importer's retail outlet they said "We only import CDG, no A's, nor the rest
of the keys. Nobody wants them." !!! So the trio were weeded out and I'm
happy with Hohner's. Durban has half a dozen outlets for their Blues Harps.

But the solid tight comb had left me wanting more, and I just got a price
for laser-cut 6mm thick stainless steel comb blanks. (I have to drill the
five holes as a laser can't cut diameters smaller than the material's
thickness) Price: 5 USD each,.. so guess who's doing a CAD drawing of a comb
this weekend!
The same firm can do S/Steel cover pressings, they come next! :)

One thing's for sure, Tom: Hohner, Suzuki, Lee Oskar Tombo, Seydel, Hering
all make good harps , but every harp you use for the same type of music
needs to have reliable, similar response.

Geoff Atkins