Re: [Harp-L] Super Loud Bands

On May 8, 2009, at 8:00 PM, sam blancato wrote:

Hi Folks,

First off playing too loud serves the same purposes in music performance
that talking too loud does in spoken communication.

You must be a teacher.

Music is a language and performance is a way of using that language. Most of the times I hear
somebody get loud their message suffers for it in that it usually means that
loudness is taking the places of better chosen words

Oh yeah, and it covers a lot of mistakes too, as well as damaging most
peoples hearing.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

First scenario. When I play at the Harborside in Marinatown, it's an open air sports bar and the band is exceptionally loud. So much so that although there is a 10 pm noise curfew, we have had to back off to playing from 6:30 till 9:30 instead of 7 till 10..BECAUSE as soon as we may go over a few minutes on the last tune because we are not slaves to time, sure enough the residents of the high rise condos across the lagoon from the marina will be on the phone to the cops, the mayor, the national guard, and the north west royal mounted.

The keyboard/B3 player is the culprit and while he also plays bass with his left hand, he keeps insisting that he can't hear the drums. (the drums are miked). The drummer, meanwhile insists that he can't hear the bass. Then the guitar player can't hear HIMSELF...and makes mistakes. Luckily, 'I' am working by rote and don't make these mistakes..BUT, I have to play too loud and while I may acquiesce with diatonics, I don't like that with chromos. And, I can't use very many nuances. We have an abundance of sax players always around and they literally blow their brains out.

Second scenario. When I play at the Roadhouse OR Lighthouse, we are talking supper clubs here. The volume has to be commensurate with people on a sojurn and talking at normal levels. Neither the baby grand nor the drums have to be mikes. The upright bass is just right and with me on a mike, there are only 4 of us playing. EVERYTHING I do can be clearly heard, and I can 'milk' the tunes. This has advantages (better tips) AND disadvantages (naked sound). If I make a mistake, everyone in the place can tell. On the other hand, I get compliments at those places BECAUSE they can hear what I am trying to say with the harp. This doesn't happen in the first scenario. If horns sit in they're not allowed to use my mike. Owner's orders.

Conclusion? The crowd is starting to drop off at scenario #1. Volume should fit the scenario.. but STILL shouldn't be over 1,ooo Roentgens. lolol

Joe Leone (Pittsburgh/Punta Gorda)