RE: [Harp-L] recommended harps

This is like asking what food you should always order at a particular restaurant...everyone is going to have their opinion, but only one answer is going to be right *for you* *at this time* in your harp playing career.  The only way you're going to figure out the answer is on your own.  Sure, others can give their opinions of different manufacturers/models, and while potentially helpful, you won't know if the answer is right or not until you try it.  The good news for you is that you *have* tried a few different harps, and you have been playing long enough that you should be able to discern what matters most to you in a harp.  The other good news is that it seems like almost all harp on the market right now are fairly priced.  (I'm not aware of a ~$40 harp that is complete garbage, nor am I aware of a $5 harp that is phenomenal.)

My advice is to keep buying them one at a time as funds allow until you find a harp you just absolutely love.  Then buy that harp in a different key.  If you love that one too, congratulations, you have *probably* found the harp for you so stock up on them and enjoy the music.  I say "probably" because it could just be a fluke that a particular harp is a "good" one...and could be a fluke that *two* harps happen to be good ones.  Also, you might love a particular harp in certain keys and despise it in others.  If you try them all and don't find one you love, start the process over w/ custom harps.

When I first started playing, I hated...no, *HATED* marine bands...all of them...any key.  I would rather play a $2 plastic harp than play a MB.  Fast-forward a couple of years later and the marine band is my definite harp of choice...(and no, I am not a Hohner endorsee...in fact, I'll go so far as to say that Hohner doesn't even know I exist).  It isn't even an issue w/ a particular bad or good harp...because my C harp of choice, a MB, is the very harp that I first hated when I started playing.  (Yeah, I'm apparently not particularly hard on harps...and this is with practicing an hour+ each day, and playing out a few times a month.)

The harp-l experts have probably already answered your question far better than I have...but it's a Friday afternoon, a notoriously slow time on harp-l, so I thought I'd jump in on this one.  Good luck on your quest for the perfect harp.  Meanwhile, could someone tell me where I can find a great amp and mic for less than $300 total?  ;P

(No?  Dangit...I guess I'm still on my own personal quest for just the right low-budget amp and mic.)

Jonathan "JC" Compton