Subject: [Harp-L] loud bands

I agree.  Loud doesn't = exciting and reasonable doesn't = boring.  I've
seen Kim Wilson once and would go again for sure but he was loud.  He drove
the volume in the band and it was really, really loud...doghouse bass and
all!  Small club and I sat too close to the stage but even still you
couldn't escape the volume.  I am a bit hard of hearing from many years of
loud music, hunting/skeet shooting and I had to put paper in my ears which
shouldn't have to happen. I  love the juke joint, party, drink and throw
down feel and I think you have to have enough volume to get that over but it
doesn't have to be painful. Now, this thread started as a discussion on
overall volume of  the entire band and has now seemingly morphed into amp
discussions.  I've played on and have had the opportunity to really explore
many of the harp-specific amps available and truly believe there isn't one
that does everything better than the others. It's very similar to the
compromise you have to make if you enjoy offshore and inshore fishing but
only have the money to buy one boat.  The boat that runs the shallowest
isn't going to take 3-4 foot seas as well as a boat with a deep V designed
for those conditions and vice versa. Take that analogy to the amp discussion
and it reads if you want a really compressed Chicago sound don't count on
having the best mids, note separation and clarity out of the same amp.
Compression vs. clarity vs. cut vs. volume is tough and always requires some
compromise.  Don't let anyone tell you one amp can do it all better than
everything else cause that just isn't true.  What and where you are playing
will dictate which amp is the most appropriate for the setting.  Most will
have their opportunity to play at local jams and the smaller amp that works
great in the living room isn't going to get over on stage with a bunch of
jammers at top volume.  The line out concept works well for the audience but
doesn't help on the stage.  The big amp you love at jams might need to be
cranked up to volumes higher than what would be appropriate in a more
controlled setting to achieve the tone you desire or to reach the sweet spot
of the amp.   With that said, nothing is enjoyable at painful levels and
that is the discussion at hand.