[Harp-L] Timeless music

Am listening to that Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac music - just heard Black Magic Woman. A lot of the Brit bands (and European bands) from the 70's sure had a timeless sound. In other words, it sounds fresh today - not dated at all - and doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like an authentic band, the problem with a lot of current releases. (ooh - awesome - Green Manalishi with the Three Pronged Crown is playing. Sounds just as good today as it did 30 years ago).

Most growing up in the US weren't exposed to the great music coming out of Europe. I lived in Germany in the early 70's and got to experience Gentle Giant, Curved Air, Osibissa, Family, live Kinks, etc. Most had a unique sound and quite a few are worth seeking out even today for a real musical experience.

Currently I am smitten with Fotheringay - only released a few records, and especially LINDESFARNE, who've released 22 albums and were at one time in the early 70's poised to become the next big thing (according to the critics). Lindesfarne has a very active harmonica player, as mentioned in earlier posts. Their music is real homespun with a great dose of FUN mixed in. I came across a 17 minute live version of their "We Can Swing Together" that features a very long harmonica solo - most of which the band lays out and the harmonica carries it as a solo instrument. The style is TB right side of mouth, first position, semi old timey folk song style - strong melodic long tones with chording to where it sounds like two players. What is most fun is how the crowd is totally involved in this solo.

My computer skills are slowly improving to where I may be able to put this example up in an area where others can download it easily. Until then, however, I can gather a small list of emails to those interested and try bulk emailing this mp3 file out. Since the song is about 17 minutes, I don't know if it is too large a file to email, though. Won't know till I try sending it, but in the meanwhile, if you'd like to be put on that cc list, email me off list.