RE: [Harp-L] Super Loud Bands

Yeah...I remember all that....hated it then and still do. Just how loud
was Hendrix, Cream etc., though? Until about '73 or '74, PA systems were
pretty small, as I recall. A lot of fairly big acts were still playing
through 'column' PAs (dunno what people call them in other countries)
which were just for vocals,  the power amp on the floor by the drummer,
who controlled the volume , tone, etc. We all thought it was really
loud! (For any of you Aussies out there, the kind of PA I'm talking
about, with the addition of two power horns, is what was used by local
stars 'Daddy Cool', to launch their 'Sex Dope Rock'n'roll: Teenage
Heaven' album at the Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, back in '72. Must have
been several thousand people there.)
I played on a support for Robert Plant in the mid '80s and their
onstage sound was very comfortable. They had small amps and weren't a
lot louder than us, and when I say 'us', I'm talking about a retro band
playing western swing with ancient  40 watt valve amps and a fiddle
leading. (Plant was into a 'Rockabilly/R'n'B thing at the time and
wanted a suitable band as a support; actually came to see us at a little
gig. Nice fella.)
 The less subtle the music, the louder you can play it, because it's
about brute strength and power, not subtlety. Loved Jimi  BTW, though I
never saw him live. I think his use of distortion, volume etc. was quite
different to Zep, Cream etc. Jimi played soft, swinging, pretty stuff
too, don't forget.
I don't think 'loud' has any 'musical attraction'; enjoying loudness is
about feeling like you are part of a big event, and that you somehow
share part of the power. Most people don't give a toss about 'music', as
such.  Music works best as a social lubricant, like wine or food, and
rarely deserves to be the central attraction; the sooner people start to
realist that, I'd say the will be more work for everyone.
Turn down and let people decide for themselves whether you are worth
listening to.
>>> robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> 7/05/2009 10:26 >>>

Look Larry, I actually agree with you on this; I don't like playing
loud music either, though I do at times...but to say you don't
understand the musical attraction seems a bit disingenuous to me given
that you are old enough to remember The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream,
Led Zepplin, etc etc etc.

I would submit that there was some musicality there, no?

WVa Bob