[Harp-L] RE: super loud bands

Heard the one about the drummer hired for a recording session? No? OK...make it a harp player if you like...anyway, he finishes his first take, and the producer comes up to him and says: "Nice one man, great groove, beautiful sound...if I can just say one thing...DYNAMICS!"  "DYNAMICS??" says the muso, "I'm playing as loud as I can already!"
RD

>>> "Bill Otten" <harpman54@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 7/05/2009 8:33 >>>

I've had the pleasure of learning from some highly talented musicians, Larry
"the Iceman", David "Rock Bottom" York, Annie Raines, Gary Primich, too many
to list,  and an equally solid bunch of guitar players. Besides their
incredible talent and teaching skills, they all possessed that special
quality called dynamics. Like a pendulum swinging, or a fisherman's
lure...out and back, loud then soft, the music reels you in. Most of us have
some idea on notes of resolution, and how they lead into the next note, the
next progression. Same with dynamics. Music demands that rise and fall, the
push then pull...not always the full frontal attack of dangerously loud and
in-your-face. I, like Iceman, can't understand full loud all the time. I
don't scream at my wife all the time, it's not conducive to a good
relationship any more than constantly loud music. Dynamics are like the
incoming tide, the outgoing ebb tide. It simply makes music more palatable
and exciting. Loud music is for those who try to disguise their musical
faults with excess. Listen to Herbie Mann's "Coming Home Baby"
sometime....starts out low, builds, crescendos then sneaks away. Ravel's
Bolero. See how much mileage you can get out of playing without the excess.
You'll be surprised.

Bill Otten