Re: [Harp-L] 1st-3rd holes

While it is possible that the harp is not assembled properly, you might take a look at how you're applying your mouth to the harp.

By the way, I go into these topics at some length in my book, harmonica for Dummies.

It's not unusual for new players to have problems getting the first three holes to  respond because they're not opening their mouths up enough on the inside. your throat should be open like you're yawning and your mouth should be like a cavern, with your tongue lying on the floor like a rug.

If you feel like air is escaping, check the seal between your lips and the harp. Your lips should for a soft, airtight cushion that the harp can rest in. You should be able to slide the harp from side to side in your mouth freely to access all the holes.

No air should escape above, below, or at the corners of your mouth. put the harp deep in your mouth to get your lips around it - relax your mouth and make the harp meet your mouth, not the other way around. With a relaxed, full seal no air should escape anywhere.

Make sure air isn't escaping through your nose.

Are you tongue blocking (putting your tongue on the harp to block some of the holes)? If you are, and your find air escaping at the left side of your mouth when you're playing holes at the left side of the harp because part of your mouth is hanging off the end, seal your lips to the top and bottom of your tongue in the part of your mouth hanging off the end of the harp.

It's possible that your harmonica isn't assembled properly. You could reassemble it to make sure that the parts are aligned and tightened properly.

First, remove the covers (straight slotted screwdriver). make sure not to lose the nuts and bolts.

The loosen the reedplate screws (small Phillips or Pozidriv screwdriver). Make sure that the reedplates are seated properly on the comb - flat to the surface and inside the little "fence" that runs arounf the edges. Then re-tighten the screws in the following way:

Tighten only enough that the scredriver resists your fingertips. over-tightening can warp the reedplates and make the harp leaky.

Start with the screws in the middle of the harp, then work your way out to the ends. That way you don't trap any "wrinkles in the carpet."

Hope this helps.

Winslow Yerxa