[Harp-L] Which harps last longest when gigging regularly?

Rick,

For the last two years or so, I've been playing Suzuki Hammonds 2-3 nights most weeks and I haven't had one wear out or go bad yet. Most durable harmonicas I've ever played and I've been playing for 30 years. I always play amplified, and I usually play a pretty hard driving groove on material that rocks, so my Hammonds have not had delicate treatment. However, i don't find that one necessarily has to play hard in order to play loud.

For many years, I used to play Hohner Pro Harps exclusively and I can assure you that they are not nearly as durable as Hammonds. Not even close. The Big River has the same comb and reedplates as the MS Pro Harp. They are identical except for the covers. The old style (pre- MS) Pro Harps were just like the Special 20, except with different covers. They weren't as durable as the Hammonds are, either.

Lee Oskars are durable harmonicas. i don't happen to like how they sound, but they hold up very well.

Btw, LOs and Suzukis are Equal Temperament. But that has nothing to do with durability

JP

From Rick Davis:

In your opinion, which 10-hole diatonic harp has the best durability when
played hard with a loud blues band? By "played hard" I mean used in a
couple of gigs per week, and sometimes played louder than you'd like because
of a poor mix. When I can't hear myself I tend to play louder, which
actually makes things worse.

I'm trying Hohner Special 20, Marine Band Deluxe, Big River, and Pro harps.
I'm also trying a few Lee Oskar harps. Which harp last longest for you when
gigging regularly?