[Harp-L] Re: Amp>DI box>PA

Jim wrote:
"Does using a DI box bypass the amp's speakers as far as the PA mix is concerned? What I mean is, micing an amp, you get the final, tonal result from the amp going into the PA. With a DI, are you just sending a portion of that signal? The portion of the sound that's created before the amp's speakers broadcast it?"

That was how I was using it, yes. Since I was running a line from the amp's line-out to the DI box and then to the PA system, I was in effect using my Marble Max amp more like a preamp. It still sounded killer, though. I like miking the amp, but when I know I'm walking into a situation where the band is going to be LOUD, I always like to play right into the PA (aka the loudest amp on any stage), even if that means sacrificing a bit of overdriven speaker tone. Sometimes I'll play into the PA with my Harp Commander or Art Tube Pre-Amp ...... this time I decided on using the Marble Max's line-out - to great effect. YMMV.

MN

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.