[Harp-L] Pete Schmidt Blues Backing Tracks

Questions about backing tracks often appear on the list. There are many available including those from the excellent "Band in a Box".

However nothing beats the real thing. Some years ago I bought the "Ultimate Blues Jam" Vol 1 and 2 CDs from Canadian blues player Pete Schmidt. I've recently bought the "Ultimate Blues Jam Harmonica Edition" CD, the third one in the series. These tracks are done by a 4 piece blues band, with guitar, piano, bass and drums. The sound is authentic, the practice opportunities invaluable.

Blues has evolved into regional styles, West Coast, Chicago, Texas etc. Each has its idioms and unique feels, good blues players know them all. Pete Schmidts tracks cover most of these styles. The band sounds right, and is easy to play over.

Pete Schmidt's guitar covers the bases. He has clearly studied Jimmy Rogers, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy and other greats, his interpretation of their backing styles sets these tracks apart from others I've heard. Also, most drummers don't cut it in blues, the shuffles are too fast, the fills too frequent. Pete Schmidt's drummer (it would be nice to know who he is) is spot on.

Working through these tracks will prepare you for just about any traditional electric blues performance situation. Highly recommended.

Vol 1 and Vol 2 seem to be out of print, although the harmonica one is available. You can get it online at www.peteschmidt.com

PS the usual stuff re no affiliation with Pete Schmidt.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.harmonicaacademy.com
...everyone plays