[Harp-L] Re: old standby

"I bought an "old" Old Standby from Ebay awhile back, but it's not in good
condition and I haven't really worked on it yet. The wood comb looked pretty
tough. I'm wondering if anyone makes some kind of composite comb these days
that would accept the reed plate assembly and coverplates?
Steve Webb in Minn."

Hey Steve. Here's what I know about...
Randy Sandoval and Chris Reynolds make composite combs for them and they have some cool woods as well. I sell a sealed pearwood comb for them for $18... and around June 1, I'll be selling sealed combs made of (the commercially extinct) American Chestnut I've reclaimed.

Also on the Old Standby, you can make a new Old Standby pretty easy. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients, one Marine Band, one old standby.
Step 1
Take one REAL, not new, Old Standby covers and clean them up.
Step 2
Put OS covers on Marine Band.
Step 2
Play.

The exception would be if you have Marine Band reedplates with four holes on the corners for coverplate nails. In that case, I would just drill through it and install some aught 80 bolts for coverplate screws.

While I'm on drilling out coverplates, I'll pass along a little juicy bit about drilling reedplate screws, if you put a washer on the screw, it will hold the reedplate better because it distributes the pressure along a larger area... you can tighten the screw a little tighter without distortion.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com