Re: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: Vermona 48 Chord Harp

Thanks Elizabeth - I think you might be right about the leather, now that I am looking at the old valves with your insight in mind. I will check out the Slidemeister archives, although I have a very particular way of valving that I use for my diatonics and chromatics that has worked for me. You're making a really good point though: I don't know how my technique would work on the Chord harp. I guess I'll find out soon enough :).

ac
-----Original Message-----
From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx [mailto:EGS1217@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2009 03:31 AM
To: ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: Vermona 48 Chord Harp

The material you're talking about might actually be leather..just really old and so dried up so as to be unrecognizable by now....or, something someone used as a substitute somewhere along the line. You've already re-valved, but at some point should you decide to re-valve yet again in a perhaps more authentic way, you might wish to try the ultra-suede used by PTGazell and later Brendan Power, although I'm not sure about its use for a chord. (PT half-valves his diatonics). It seems to be a very good non-popping replacement for diatonics and chromatics. (Lots of valve material discussions are in the Slidemeister archives as well). Either PT or Brendan might have some info posted somewhere on how they use that material

It does sound like a fun (and exciting) project and Dave Payne's videos would also be a good source for consultation..I believe he still has one posted one on his site showing a step by step refurbishing of a 10 hole chromatic. Great stuff. Walter (Wally) Peterman is also a great chord player/customizer/fixer who could probably be a source of information...although I'm not sure he has enough time to post here very often.

Elizabeth

AC writes (snipped)

"Aside from that the harmonica is in great shape. When I opened it up I
realized why it sounded so bad: all the windsavers were non-functional. They
are made of some kind of cardboard looking material and almost look like
they got wet and later dried out completely. They are basically "frozen" in
place with just enough gap to let some sound through, but not much. I
re-valved a section of the harp and cleaned up some residue that made some
reeds stuck and it now sounds great! It will take me a while to finish
valving the whole thing, but I should be done with it in a couple of weeks -
pretty exciting stuff!"

Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!