[Harp-L] Route 66 Harmonica Club Meeting and Jam

The Route 66 Harmonica Club will hold its monthly meeting and open mic jam
at The Western Country Diner, 1905 South Sheridan, Tulsa, OK, starting at
6:00 PM, Monday May 11, 2009. There will be a very short business meeting
followed by an educational program and open mic jam.

This months educational speaker is Mike Peace. Mike is a well known local
musician who is currently the harp player for the award wining blues band
Jennifer Marriott and Odd Sheep Out. But Mike is also well known locally as
a top notch harmonica mechanic and customizer. This session, Mike will teach
us how to do basic harp maintenance and simple repairs. Bring one or more
junk harps and your harp tools if you have any and Mike will teach you how
to clean your harp, clear a blockage and generally keep your harps in good
shape. In the near future, Mike will teach a second session called "Open
Harp Surgery" in which will go deeper into the subject of harp repair. You
can assemble your own set of harp tools from instructions on the internet,
using dental instruments, jewelers tools and brass shim stock for a few
dollars. I probably have less than ten bucks invested in mine. Or you can
purchase a set from Lee Oskar or Hering.

This month's featured new product will be the new Hohner Astatic JT-30. This
mic is currently being offered on sale my Musicians friend for $69.99. It is
an old fashioned bullet mic with a built in volume control. Dave Berntson
and Bill Kumpe have both purchased this mic and one or both of their mics
will be available if you want to try one out.

At 7:00 PM or a little thereafter, we will open the mic and the jam will
begin. Robert Smith, band leader and lead guitar player for the Mixed
Company Band will be our guitar player. Players of all skill levels and
styles are welcome to participate. Chromatic and diatonic players are
welcome. While the genre' is usually blues, we have standards, country and
gospel numbers almost every session and I am sure this month will be no
exception.

This will be a family friendly event. Children accompanied by their parents
or a suitable adult are welcome. The Western Country Diner serves a wide
variety of diner foods, sandwiches and soft drinks. Please show your
appreciation for our host by having dinner or desert. We will also "pass the
hat" for our faithful guitar player who also provides the sound system.

We had a great time last month. There was a fine turnout and some great
music was made. It was just so much fun we need to do it again this month.