[Harp-L] Speaking of Paul Rishell and Annie Raines...

Had an opportunity of a lifetime (well, my lifetime, anyway) a couple weeks ago, and met them both while they were playing a show at Bull Run in Shirley, MA. Very nice folks. Even better was that my father-in-law (accoustic, finger-pickin' blues stuff) was opening the show for them, and I got to play with him. What a kick that was, playing the same stage that Annie Raines was going to play just minutes after I left. Also very humbling... :-), watching her play, I could not help but sink a little lower in my seat after each note she blew, knowing I must have looked like SUCH a hacker. Regardless, it was the biggest, friendliest crowd I have every played in front of, so it was a blast.

Anyway, if anyone ever has a chance to see Paul and Annie, don't miss it. Class act all the way. Mike
--- On Sat, 5/2/09, Jon Vesey <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Jon Vesey <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Annie Raines Workshop NYC 6/7/09
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 2, 2009, 5:11 PM

I'm new to Harp L (and not a harp player), but have played with
several musicians who are long time members. I hope you don't mind me
posting these events. I have no monetary interest in this, just a love
of the blues and those who practice it. Please contact me if you are
interested.

PAUL RISHELL and ANNIE RAINES COUNTRY BLUES WORKSHOPS
NEW YORK CITY, SUNDAY JUNE 7TH

http://www.paulandannie.com/content/

I will be hosting workshops for Paul Rishell and Annie Raines in NYC
on June 7, 2009. Classes will be about a dozen student. Workshops are
TWO HOURS and cost SIXTY DOLLARS. Advance Registration required.
Please contact JON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for information.

Country Blues Guitar with Paul Rishell, 1 PM - Styles of the Masters -
Intermediate to Advanced
We'll study the guitar styles and right and left hand techniques and
standard and open tunings of the great country blues masters, including Son
House, Scrapper Blackwell, Charley Patton, Blind Boy Fuller, Tommy Johnson,
Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc. Most pieces will be taught note-for-note from
the old recordings. You should be able to fingerpick and know some barre
chords. Bring a slide and capo and anything else you use to play. Audio
recording is encouraged.

Blues Harmonica with Annie Raines 3:30 PM - Intermediate
The focus of the class will be rhythm in soloing and syncopation. We'll
work on techniques used by Little Walter, Sonny Terry, Sonny Boy Williamsons
I and II, Dr. Ross and other harmonica greats by getting cleaner bends,
tongue-blocked bends, basslines, crunchy chewy rhythm parts, position
playing, and alternating rhythm and melody. Bring diatonic harmonicas in the
keys of A, C, and D. Audio recording encouraged.