Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Re: Vermona 48 Chord Harp

The material you're talking about might actually be leather..just really
old and so dried up so as to be unrecognizable by now....or, something
someone  used as a substitute somewhere along the line. You've already re-valved,
but at  some point should you decide to re-valve yet again in a perhaps more
authentic  way, you might wish to try the ultra-suede used by PTGazell and
later Brendan  Power, although I'm not sure about its use for a chord. (PT
half-valves his diatonics). It seems to be a very good non-popping
replacement  for diatonics and chromatics. (Lots of valve material discussions are in
 the Slidemeister archives as well).  Either PT or Brendan might have  some
info posted somewhere on how they use that material

It does sound like a fun (and exciting) project and Dave Payne's  videos
would also be a good source for consultation..I believe he still has one
posted one on his site showing a step by step refurbishing of a 10 hole
chromatic.  Great stuff. Walter (Wally) Peterman is also a great chord
player/customizer/fixer who could probably be a source of information...although  I'm
not sure he has enough time to post here very often.

Elizabeth

AC writes (snipped)

"Aside from that the harmonica is in great shape. When I opened it up  I
realized why it sounded so bad: all the windsavers were non-functional.
They
are made of some kind of cardboard looking material and almost look  like
they got wet and later dried out completely. They are basically "frozen"  in
place with just enough gap to let some sound through, but not much.  I
re-valved a section of the harp and cleaned up some residue that made  some
reeds stuck and it now sounds great! It will take me a while to  finish
valving the whole thing, but I should be done with it in a couple of  weeks
-
pretty exciting stuff!"

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!