Da: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] Per conto
di wr richards
Inviato: Saturday, May 02, 2009 4:48 AM
A: harp-l harp-l
Oggetto: Re: [Harp-L] Background (Rhythm) harmonica

On May 1, 2009, at 3:12pm, Jp Pagán wrote:
> Hey Phil,
>
> Madcat IS an amazing rhythm player. Saw him at SPAH last year, and
> what he does with just a harp and a foot cymbal is very impressive.
> However, I think we're dealing with different meaning of rhythm here.

I had one harmonica lesson, it was in '84 or '85. 30 minutes with
Madcat, at Elderly Instruments when it was in East Lansing.  And I had
one specific question -- what to play when it wasn't solo time. His
suggestion was to play with some part of the bass line or mimic the
rhythm guitar. Still works for me. Doesn't call for anything fancy,
and you don't get in the way (at least, no more than the bass and
rhythm guitar do).

I didn't grow up to be a pro harmonica player, but I can sit in with
some real talented folks, have a few moments in the spotlight, and not
p--- off the singer/band/audience. Thanks, Madcat.

wrr