Re: [Harp-L] Background (Rhythm) harmonica

So good to see you again, Michelle!! It's been much too long.

I think you and I are probably pretty much in agreement here, but maybe I should clarify my position. See below.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MLeFree" <mlefree@...> wrote:

> Not wishing to take anything at all away from Madcat, leave us not forget
> another expert rhythm harper, Phil Wiggins. He uses another "utterance" to
> evoke his complex rhythms, "takata puff puff." Lots of other "utterances"
> can work nicely as well. Any horn player knows double and triple tonguing.
> Play with combinations of the above and you can come up with your own
> rhythms.
>
> And, I understand Jp Pagan's assertion:
> > But Madcat (from what I know of his playing) is more focused on
> > playing rhythms on his harmonica (i.e., train songs, Old Lost John,
> > etc). Granted, these two can come together in duo's like Madcat & Kane
> > (also excellent!!) and Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, but they are
> > pretty particular to a style of music.
>
> But I do take exception. I've found in many musical genres that a harmonica
> player who can/will provide some bass and/or rhythm backup is regarded as an
> asset to the group (bluegrass, country, folk, and more...) And rhythms
> produced by the harp don't need to be a whole lot different treatment than
> what we've talked about thus far.

I definitely agree with you when you say that "a harmonica player who can/will provide some bass and/or rhythm backup is regarded as an asset to the group". The distinction I was trying to make is in HOW they do it. When I said that what Madcat and Sonny Terry are known for is particular to a style of music, I was referring to things like train rhythms and Old Lost John and Fox Chase rhythms, pieces that are often played by solo harmonica but also work in certain styles of group playing. But those kinds of "rhythm," by definition, don't include basslines or other types of backup playing. Like I said before, I'm just trying to distinguish between different definitions of "rhythm playing": on the one hand, *rhythmic* playing, like train songs and *rhythm* (or more accurately, *background*) playing, which is less a specific style of playing, and more a function. It is what bass players and rhythm guitarists do, but also what harp players like Little Walter were known for (not that you have to play it like he did).

I think there's a whole larger conversation possible here about whether the harmonica is truly a "rhythm" instrument (as in, an instrument that fits into the rhythm section of a band, like the bass, piano, guitar and drums), or more of a "horn section" instrument like the sax and trumpet, or something that doesn't truly belong in either place or something that fits perfectly in both. I won't give away my opinion...

-Jp