From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of MLeFree
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 6:16 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Background (Rhythm) harmonica

Not wishing to take anything at all away from Madcat, leave us not forget
another expert rhythm harper, Phil Wiggins. He uses another "utterance" to
evoke his complex rhythms, "takata puff puff." Lots of other "utterances"
can work nicely as well. Any horn player knows double and triple tonguing.
Play with combinations of the above and you can come up with your own
rhythms.

And, I understand Jp Pagan's assertion:
> But Madcat (from what I know of his playing) is more focused on
> playing rhythms on his harmonica (i.e., train songs, Old Lost John,
> etc). Granted, these two can come together in duo's like Madcat & Kane
> (also excellent!!) and Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, but they are
> pretty particular to a style of music.

But I do take exception. I've found in many musical genres that a harmonica
player who can/will provide some bass and/or rhythm backup is regarded as an
asset to the group (bluegrass, country, folk, and more...) And rhythms
produced by the harp don't need to be a whole lot different treatment than
what we've talked about thus far.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Michelle

BTW, Jp, it's been too long! (He'll know what I mean.  :)