[Harp-L] re: Harmonicas available today

All quotes are from Abner Galdos:

First, for the most part I'll assume this is about diatonic harmonicas, so will only distinguish when talking about chromatics.

"1) what Brands and Model do you like and why ?"

I play mostly customized harmonicas by Richard Sleigh, Jimmy Gordon and Pat Missin for diatonics, and for chromatics customized instruments by Pat Missin, Richard Sleigh and Siegfried Naruhn. These are the best people working, so why not play the best. If I were to play a stock model, there are many to choose from which are just fine.

"2) What to look for in a Brand and Model ?"

As long as we are talking basically decent models personal preference, really. If you like the physical feel, both in the mouth and the hands. I would go for something which is reliably in good shape out of the box. I've found Lee Oskar and Suzuki have the best quality control, but Hering and Hohner are competitive in the mid- range. I've not tried enough Seydels to say, and have never tried a Bends.

For chromatics I think the Hohner CX-12 is truly amazing, though the cover-shape is not for everyone. The CX-12 Jazz probably makes up for this (though I've not tried it). After that, the higher end Suzukis are quite nice and then Herings and Hohners, I would say. I've had some reed longevity issues with Herings, otherwise I'd recommend them higher (I am not a fan of the cross-tuning both Suzuki and Hohner use). I've tried neither Seydel nor Bends chromatics, so have no comments on them.

"5) Combs: wood,plastic,marble,gold,silver,paper,leather,bone,skin, how do they change the sound or do they ?"

There has been exhaustive discussion of comb material in the archives. I suggest checking that. Basically, there is neither evidence from published testing nor sound theoretical reasons which would back a difference in tone due to comb material. Thus, the best reason to choose a comb material is for durability, feel and similar properties. I would recommend against most wood combs personally because wood is very sensitive to moisture, and harmonicas tend to get quite wet from playing. If sealed properly wood can avoid this, but why bother.

"6) Reeds: Brass,steel,aluminum,plastic, paper, how does the material change the sound ?"

Again, there is no evidence for a change in sounds due to a change in materials. Currently there are two choices of reed material, brass alloys and steel available on the market. Different models have reputations for greater longevity and other reed-related issues. Most likely reed scale (the shape, and size of the reeds in relationship to the pitch) have a much greater impact on how the reed performs and sounds than any change in reed material. The reed itself is not generating a significant amplified sound (unlike a guitar string), but rather it is the reed's disruption of the airstream which generates the sound we hear.

"7) Screws on reeds: the more the better and if so why?"

I assume this means the number of reed-plate screws and not screwed on reeds. In the later, these are not commercially available (and have plusses and minuses verses rivets). In the former, I am firmly in the camp of as few reeds as can do the job of securely and tightly hold the reed-plates on. On a diatonic this can be anywhere from two to five depending on other factors--placement can be important here, but so can cover-plate design, comb design and flatness of components. On a chromatic usually more screws are needed, but I have a 64 from Pat Missin which is held on with six screws and that's all. More screws does not inherently mean a better seal or greater airtightness.

"8) Reed cover: Nails that look like screws making one a fool trying to unscrew them, screws I have seen 2 or "

Not sure if this got cut-off. All components should be held in by screws (excepting perhaps the reeds themselves).

"9) Cover Plate: Material will this make a difference ?"

Again, neither published tests nor sound theories back up a difference in sound due to cover-plate material. Perhaps a difference in shape, but even that is minimal. Again, the archives have some good threads on this subject.

It may sound harsh, but my best advice to any newbie to harp-l or the harmonica in general is to check the harp-l archives available here:

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/

This is not to cut-off discussion, but rather because there is a wealth of information which can be found there and it is an invaluable resource for those wishing to learn more.

Hope this helps.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'