Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas available today (shawn chain)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.. I will be making a copy and holding on the it;.

abner
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: geoff atkins
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:29 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonicas available today (shawn chain)

  Message: 4
  Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:38:17 -0400
  From: shawn chain <spolcyc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  1) what Brands and Model do you like and why ?
     - (Tried thers: Tombo, Suzuki) but went back to
       Hohner range, tried several, Blues Harp suits me
     - as yet, it does all that I can ask from it
     - available without delay (unlike Tom and Suzu)
     - usually plays sufficiently well OOTB (lets not go there)
  2) What to look for in a Brand and Model ?
     - reliability of response
     - longevity (like a car, IMHO careful
       running-in affects the lifespan)
  3) what keys should I get, in what order ?
     - eventually all, just in case, but C,A,D,G,Bb were for
       starters, then F,Dlow (Hohner's JJMilteaux) .. F# last.
  4) When ordering from an on line site,
     what kind of warranty should we look for?
     - warranty issues are poor, from site or store.
       I became a DIY fan because sending a (chrom) back to
       Europe (from Africa)for service took > three months and
       cost nearly a new harp price in postage and insurance.
  5) Combs: wood,plastic,marble,gold,silver,paper,
     leather,bone,skin, how do they change the sound
     or do they ?
     - I believe they do, wood attenuates high frequency
       harmonics of the note. Solid aluminium is brighter
       and louder. I do NOT like the hollowed-out plastic
       combs at all! They can leak. I once experimented,
       filling the cavities with "Blue Tack" (see, it has
       another use! * ).Harp felt good, heavy, was air-tight,
       but an unnecessary chore!
       I use wood sealed with 50/50 vaseline/beeswax mix.
       Once made a set of combs from MDF board, they were
       quite successful,(I play dry).
  6) Reeds: Brass,steel,aluminum,plastic, paper,
     how does the material change the sound ?
     - the reed comes with the harp model choice or
       replacement spare. "Brass" (Cu/Zn) reeds are the only
       ones I've experienced, though possibly they are
       "bronze" (Cu/Sn) or other solid solutions.
       Stiffer alloys are brighter. Never tried S/Steel or
       (plastic !?) If you like paper, U need a comb
       or a Kazoo   :)
  7) Screws on reeds: the more the better and if so why?
     - air tight seal between reed plate and comb,
       the more screws, the more even pressure applied,
       = less leakage. 2-7 plus cover screws.
       The heavier the reed plate, the less screws needed.
       There may be a plate resonance issue too?
  8) Reed cover: Nails that look like screws  making one
     a fool trying to unscrew them, ...
     - the "screw" nail is a cheap and nasty solution used
       to construct some good harps. IMHO Screws are better.
  9) Cover Plate: Material will this make a difference ?
     - Brass tastes bad, black coated ProHarp covers have
       less friction, so are favourite, (but not the harp
       itself so I swap combs). I have one gold-plated cover
       on a repro harp, but plating wears away quickly.

  >> * I hereby claim patent rights on filling combs with Blue Tack<<
  Best Regards, Geoff Atkins